Friday, December 10, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year..

I'm apprehensive about the holidays.

As of December 13th, or Monday, I'm officially on holidays for a month. While I should be excited about it, I'm feeling guilty that I'm not, and I'm concerned that without a routine I'll feel worse than I do right now.



I'm not good with the holidays, usually, for all of the good tidings and cheer makes me seem even more Grinch-like. I do like the holidays:

I like sweaters, and hot chocolate, and twinkling lights, and baked goods, and spending time with family, and I even like Christmas carols and church services.

I just.. am very conscious that I'm supposed to be having a good time. Or at least smiling in the photos. The holidays make my smile seem more strained than usual, I suppose.

But, I have a plan -- keep busy. I will craft like I've never crafted before. This not only will keep my hands and my brain too busy to worry too much, but it'll produce tangible results which I can perhaps even give as gifts. I'll work towards small goals and be rewarded for my efforts with practical textiles. I do love me some practical textiles.

And I can start reading novels for next term, with a couple pulpy British and Canadian lit that I've been saving for a time that I can read for pleasure.



Also - plenty of dog walks. The dog can romp around in the snow at my mom's place, and I think I'll even take the pup to the park this weekend. It'll be a good study break. There's nothing like watching a tiny dog romp around in the snow, filled with glee and wagging her tail so forcefully that she falls over. Woof.

Back to knitting. I have some gifts to work on, which I'm almost eager to finish. Almost.

2 comments:

Zoe said...

I know how you feel, I always have mixed feelings at this time of the year. Enjoy your knitting! I wish it was winter here, I can only knit in winter.

renee said...

I feel the same way Cara. Im terrible about receiving gifts. i can never make my face seem to be the right smile. I usually really do love what I get...Im just terrible about it....i find when I have lots of time off i'm better when I have some sort of plan set out for the day of stuff to do, and i'll plan for a few days ahead. even small stuff like doing the dishes, cleaning, getting so far in some sort of craft

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com