Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I got eggs today, as well as a job.

Actually, I got the job first, and then I picked up eggs on the way home, as I told myself that I could afford such a frivolous purchase now that I am gainfully employed.

I have worked at the establishment before, but in a different capacity. I've been a library assistant in their library, and I also worked for three years as the library coordinator for a different organization under the same green roof.

I will get as many hours as I'm able to handle, (more, even, perhaps) until the end of April, thanks to a grant through the provincial government. They've gotta use the money or they lose it, and I fit the very specific criteria to fulfill the requirements for the funding. Hurrah!

I am going to be a house warden. I will do regular cleaning and set up rooms in the house for events, take money and give receipts for events that are booked, and make sure that nobody is setting anything on fire or scratching the hardwood floors. In my downtime, I can do homework or pet my dog because the pup is allowed to come to work with me! And she can walk to work with me because it's only a 15 minute walk from my house (or one stop on the bus route).
 
It is pretty much the best job ever. Yep.

I have a rather comfortable level of general unease about it. I am feeling as if the world has slowed down, and that I am walking in pace with it. Perhaps this odd feeling is peace, or contentment, or some twisted form of accomplishment. I am uncertain. I just know that it rocks, and that it is infinitely better than the panic I felt earlier -- I was sure that this was some elaborate scheme to make me look foolish and to prey on my sympathies.

Silly, I know.

So, lesson learned. I should do stuff even if it scares me, because it may enable me to purchase eggs.

Oh - and I didn't know that convenience stores in Ontario regularly carry eggs. Where have I been for the last decade? I have been in a hole where one does not purchase eggs from a convenience store, it would seem. Eggs are purchased, and they are neither cracked nor rotten. Good work, convenience store! Good work, Cara. Good work all around.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats on the job(s) and congrats on the eggs Cara! I wish you filling meals and fulfilling work!

Zoe said...

Congratulations! That sounds like a perfect job, and being able to take your pup makes it that much better! It must be very scary, I understand that general uneasy feeling, but you'll be wonderful. I know it.

Eddie Mumford said...

I figurd out how to 'follow' your blog!
Also, now I need eggs.

Erin said...

Congrats and teh jorb (and teh eggzorsz).

Xo,
Ex roomeh

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com