Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mid-week return

I was looking forward to today. I don't have classes on Wednesdays, and I was eager to get some schoolwork done. However, I think I missed my meds yesterday, and maybe the day before, which has made today rather unwelcome. I can't remember taking my meds, and this afternoon's nap rivaled last night's sleep - long, but not restful or deep. I'm having difficulty remembering what I've read, and as Jane Austen isn't by any means a tricky read, I should be devouring it.

Speaking of devouring, I'm making bagels. Well, er, my bread maker is making the dough, and then I've got to shape, boil, and bake the bagels. I'm not very excited about them - I'm mostly nervous - so, again, that's a sign that I need to catch up with my prescribed friends. I'm going to make plain bagels this time, but if they turn out alright, then I'll try some sesame seed or maybe blueberry next time. Nom nom.

Also - the lack of updates since Sunday is an indicator that I'm not feeling like I have anything of importance to say. Sure, I know that's nonsense - that you, dear readers, will forgive me, as long as I write something that's not half as self-deprecating and tedious as this entry is - but it seems to make perfect sense in my head. Silly head. It'll be right as rain after a chat with the partner, my evening meds, and a good night's sleep. Oh, and the homework I still have to do: rewrite one of Shakespeare's sonnets in modern English. Hmm. That doesn't seem like it'll be too painful.

Bagelllllls, hurry up. I want to eat you!

Last night's meatloaf turned out pretty well. The recipe was from Epicurious and only called for a glaze overtop. Next time, I'll put the ketchup glaze (with my secret additions) into the main part of the loaf so that it'll be more flavourful all the way through. Yep. And as a former vegetarian, I was surprised that I didn't get sick either from making or eating meatloaf. A pleasant surprise, I say. Hurrah. And it was cheap - so I think I'll make it again next week.

Back to Austen while I impatiently watch this bagel dough rise.

4 comments:

a blog about the little things said...

hello bagel maker! I've never attempted making bagels before... they seem so ... daunting a thing to do. I have a breadmaker, though, so perhaps that makes it a bit simpler? What's your recipe?
I miss Atomic Bagels (did you ever order bagels from them?).
Do you like the fact I'm fixated on the bagel-making portion of your post & not Shakespeare, Austen or medication?

Zoe said...

I've never attempted bagels either, but I have read a couple of gf recipes. The sound like a lot of hard work!

CL said...

They do SOUND like a lot of work, but they're not, really, if you use a bread maker. Most of the instructions are telling you when you chill out and have a glass of wine or something while you wait for the yeast to work its magic.

Caren, I have never had the joy of experiencing a bagel from Atomic Bagels. I am now slightly concerned that my bagels will not be atomic enough. Eep. Better eat them before anybody finds out! And good work on the bagel fixation. That is how I'm getting through this week - making and eating baked goods. Nom nom.

And Zoe, I'll let you know if I come across a good GF recipe. No word yet. :/

Anthony said...

What's the deal with this "Epicurious" place? It's built on a foundation of lies. The real Epicurus advocated for "weak food and drink" as a means of staying in the middle of pleasure and pain, good and bad. "Epicurious" may have good recipes but they have a bunk philosophy.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com