Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oh, and my father's totally a Jewish Gangster.

I've been meaning to make a case for my iPod for awhile now, as I haven't found any in stores that I love, and I figured I could knit one. I could, and I still might, but on Tuesday I decided to sew one out of scraps. I also needed to get the hang of my sewing machine again, after a tune-up, so a small project was just what I needed. Here's the finished product:


I'm fairly pleased with it. If I had to do it again, I'd definitely change a few things, but just for ease of construction. I would still keep the unfinished seam down the centre of the case, though, (the side seams are properly turned in and finished) as I like how it turned out.

I had a hell of a time with the new thread that I got from Santa, though, as I can't find the end, and making an end was nearly disastrous. Bleh. I hope the other colours of thread are easier to work with. Also, I left all but one of my bobbins at my mother's house. She'll return them next week, but by then my classes will have started.

Eep. Classes. I have a full term, against doctors' orders, so that I can be done in April and graduate in May. On Tuesday, when I felt anxious about school, as I do again now, I curled up with the pup and a new book.


The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, originally Michael Chabon's master's thesis. My roommate gave me the book for Christmas, and I finished it in a day. If I were a man living in Pittsburgh in the 1940s, I feel that this character would quite accurately reflect me. Which may or may not be a good thing, but it was familiar.

Point: It's the first book that I've read for pleasure, and in its entirety, since probably this time last year. I've certainly been reading since then - a dozen novels or so, plus another dozen plays - but mostly for school. I haven't been able to get out of my head and to let myself fully escape into a book in a long time, and it certainly was necessary.

Next up is Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott. It's for my Victorian Lit class this term, so it's not the same kind of freeing read, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

2 comments:

Zoe said...

I love the iPod case! Very cute!
Good luck with classes, just another thing on my list of things I want to do 'some day,' is go back to uni!

CL said...

Thanks - I'm thinking of making a few more to experiment with the filling/"quilting" and to maybe make a pattern.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com